A lot of options are available when it comes to general, cosmetic, and restorative treatments in dentistry. These options are used to correct and restore damaged teeth or make them the way they should be. Restorative dental treatment options can be used to correct misaligned teeth, crooked teeth, gapped teeth, etc. Sometimes, during the development of teeth, the teeth may not grow as they are supposed to due to some factors. Factors like early loss of baby teeth, gingivitis, undue pressure on teeth and gums, injury to the mouth, etc., might cause teeth to grow wrongly. However, this can be corrected using dental devices like braces, retainers, etc. These options work in straightening and realigning the teeth and are very visible. While undergoing these dental restorative treatments, it is visible to everyone because these dental devices are conspicuous. In a bid to undergo dental restorative treatments and make them less obvious or obscure, a dental device named Invisalign was created.
Invisalign is the brand name of a thin clear aligner used in orthodontic treatments. Clear aligners are orthodontic devices that are transparent, plastic forms of dental braces used for dental restorative treatments. Invisalign is the first brand of clear aligners created. It was invented in 1997 by two college students to provide orthodontic treatment to adults seeking discreet treatments. Invisalign, as its name suggests, is designed to make orthodontic treatment less conspicuous. However, these aligners might not be completely invisible, but they fit over your teeth and are less noticeable than traditional braces. Invisalign is suitable for both children and adults with dental problems fixable with Invisalign. Getting Invisalign for kids is a good option because it is inconspicuous. This boosts their confidence and helps them live normal life.
What Restorative Treatments Does Invisalign Offer?
Invisalign can be used to fix more than one dental issue. These include crowding, spacing, and bite issues. Invisalign can be used to treat the following:
- Open bite.
- Overbite, underbite, and crossbite issues.
- Gap teeth.
- Crowded teeth.
You can get treated with Invisalign for these dental issues.
Getting Invisalign Aligners
The first step in getting an Invisalign aligner is a consultation in a dental office in your area. A consultation with a dentist would help the orthodontist map out a precise treatment plan for you. This results from a 3-D image of your mouth and jaw done by your orthodontist. The orthodontist that offers Invisalign would then use the treatment plan to create a series of customized plastic aligners. The aligners would apply pressure to your teeth, gradually shifting and moving them into place. Depending on your orthodontist, you might be required to switch sets of aligners about once every week or two.
Factors Affecting The Efficiency Of Invisalign Aligners
Invisalign aligners should be worn for twenty to twenty-two hours daily to work effectively. Invisalign should only be removed when eating, drinking, brushing, flossing, or cleaning the aligners themselves.
Other factors affecting the efficiency of Invisalign aligners are:
- The complexity of your orthodontic problems.
Care For Invisalign Aligners
For the efficiency of Invisalign aligners and the overall benefits of your oral health, you are to:
- Clean aligners regularly.
- Avoid using very hot water and abrasive materials while cleaning aligners.
- Rinse aligners every time you remove them.
- Do not eat with your aligners.
- Store aligners in their protective case.
Invisalign Vs. Braces
When choosing between traditional braces and Invisalign aligners, here are some factors you should consider.
- Price. Traditional braces are a more affordable option than Invisalign aligners when it comes to cost.
- Appearance. The biggest difference between traditional braces and Invisalign aligners is their appearance. Invisalign aligners are less noticeable than traditional braces.
- Comfort. Straightening or aligning teeth is usually not a very comfortable thing to do. Invisalign aligners are more comfortable than traditional braces. Also, metal braces can be risky during sports or exerting physical activities.
- Efficiency. Invisalign aligners are removable, while the patient cannot remove metal braces. You get to wear dental braces for as long as you undergo restorative treatments. This makes metal braces more effective in straightening teeth.